If you have large items to protect or a large number of valuables to store, a large safe can keep them all contained and safeguarded against burglary, fire, flooding and other threats. There are different types of large safes for different requirements, and there also is a range in terms of quality and pricing. So, it is important to research your options before selecting a large safe for your home or business.
The comparison table below provides you with a quick reference guide to some of the top large safes on the market today.
|Mesa Safe MBF3820C|
|AmazonBasics Fire Resistant Box Safe|
|GunVault MicroVault XL|
You can read detailed overviews of some of these large safes below, but first, let’s go over some important questions to ask yourself when you’re shopping for a large safe as well as some features and considerations to evaluate.
Before Shopping for a Large Safe, Ask Yourself:
1. What types of items are you storing, and where will you put the safe?
One of the first things you will need to figure out is how large a safe you need and what dimensions are suitable. To help you figure that out, you should consider both what types of items you want to keep inside and where in your home or business you will locate the safe.
Thinking about where you want to install the safe also will help you decide what type of large safe to purchase. For example, you might want a wall safe or for safe.
2. What types of protection are important to you?
Ask yourself what the purpose of your large safe is primarily. Do you want to protect the contents from intruders? Is your main goal to keep your valuables safe from fire or flooding?
This will help you figure out what features to look for in a large safe such as fireproofing and waterproofing. It will also help you make a determination about what type of lock you need and how important lock integrity is as a buying consideration.
3. Who will need to access your large safe?
Another important question to answer before choosing a large safe is who will need to be able to get access to its contents. Will it be just you? Or do you also need other family members or employees to be able to get inside the safe? The number of people who need access will help you to select the ideal type of lock.
Considerations for Buying the Right Large Safe
Type of Lock
There are number of different types of locks available for large safes. Most fall into one of the following categories:
Rotary combination locks
These are locks which require you to turn a dial and enter in a combination.
Digital combination locks
These locks also require a combination, but you enter it in using a keypad instead of a dial.
This is a type of lock which requires the use of a key.
With this type of lock, you gain access with a fingerprint (usually).
Some products feature a combination of these different locking mechanisms. For example, you might find a safe which accepts a combination or a fingerprint, or which opens with a combination and/or a key.
Anyone can say that their safe is fireproof, or waterproof, or has a sturdy lock. But have they put their products to the test?
When shopping for a large safe, you should check to see if the product is UL-rated. UL ratings tell you that the safe has been tested and verified to provide a certain degree of protection.
UL ratings are available for:
- The integrity of the lock
You can also check whether a safe is ETL-Verified in one of these categories, which is another independent standard.
Materials and Construction
A large safe should be made out of heavy-duty steel and should feature high quality materials and construction inside and out. Only then will it be able to hold up to tool attacks, drops, and other potential attacks or accidents.
Size and Weight
A large safe will probably be heavy and unwieldy, but chances are good that you do not intend to move it around much. Still, you may want to think about portability and dimensions.
For extra security, you can try mounting your safe to a surface. Many large safes come with mounting hardware which makes it easy to perform this installation.
For safes which include a key lock, a backup key may come along with the main key. A backup key is useful for two reasons. First of all, it can serve as a backup (of course) if you lose the other key. Secondly, two people can have keys to the safe at all times.
Make sure you note before purchasing a product whether the key is an alternate means to access the safe (i.e. in case you forget the combination) or if it is required to open the safe. Sometimes you need to enter a combination and you need to turn the appropriate key in the lock to open a safe.
Rapid, Discreet Access
If there is an intruder in your home or office and you need to access the contents of your safe, you do not want to alert the intruder that you are present.
So, if the safe you want to purchase has a beeping feature, consider checking to see whether it can be deactivated and operate in silent mode instead. Likewise, if there is an interior LED, see if it is possible to switch it off.
Shelves, Compartments, Interior Lining, and More
Speaking of the interior of your safe, there are many useful features you can look for. Along with interior illumination, some safes also include shelves or compartments. You may be able to remove or reconfigure these if you desire.
If you will be storing jewelry or other valuables you want to protect from scratches, see if you can purchase a safe with interior lining in at least some of the compartments.
The SentrySafe SFW205GQC measures 2.05 cubic feet and provides protection against both fire and water for your possessions. The exterior measures 18.6 in. W x 19.3 in. D x 23.8 in. H. The interior dimensions measure 14.8 in. W x 11.9 in. D x 19.6 in. H. The total weight is 125 pounds.
- This safe is UL-Classified to endure 1 hour at 1700°F. You can store electronic data and other valuables safely.
- The safe should be able to protect contents from a fall. It is ETL-Verified for a drop of up to 15 feet. While this does not guarantee the safety of the contents, the lid should not open.
- If there is flooding, this safe should keep contents dry. It is ETL-Verified to withstand up to 24 hours of submersion in water up to 8 inches.
- Choose your own combination. You do not need to memorize a factory code. Instead, you can set a personalized combination. The safe includes a key as well.
- Quality construction makes this a tough, durable safe. Features include six live-locking bolts, a pry-resistant hinge bar, and sturdy steel.
- There are useful interior features as well. These include a light and a drawer which locks. Note that hardware is also included to bolt down the safe if you prefer.
- Sometimes the lock seems to stick. When this happens, you may need to try multiple times to get the door open. But this flaw does not seem to affect the majority of units.
Mesa Safe MBF3820C
The Mesa Safe MBF3820C is an option worth considering if you are looking for a safe providing you with 6.4 ft.³ of space and protection against fire and burglary. The safe is constructed from solid steel and comes with an anchor kit and four pre-drilled holes.
- The UL Listed Group 2 combination lock is strong and can withstand manipulation. This is one of the key features which makes this a solid anti-burglary safe.
- If this safe falls, it should not bust open. Factory tests with 2-story drops have failed to break open the safe.
- The safe is fireproof. It can stand up to temperatures as high as 1830 degrees Fahrenheit for up to two hours. You may notice that it also lists 350 degrees in the description, but this appears to be a mistake in the listing.
- Solid construction further deters intruders. The body of the safe is made of 1-3/4-inch steel plating lined with fire resistant material. The door of the safe is 4-1/2-inch thick.
- The lock does not require a battery. That means that you do not need to worry about being shut out of your safe simply because a battery has run out of juice.
- There are two shelves. Both are designed to be sturdy so they can hold heavier contents. They also can be removed if you do not need them.
- It can be a little challenging to input the combination. But this is par the course when you need to turn a mechanical dial to get into a safe.
The SentrySafe EF4738E Fireproof Waterproof Safe is a high-quality safe which provides 4.71 cubic feet of space. The exterior measures 21.7 in. W x 19 in. D x 37.7 in. H while the interior measures Interior: 19.4 in. W x 11.7 in. D x 35.7 in. H.
- Protect contents from fire. The safe is UL Classified to protect contents for up to 1/2 hour at 1400°F (760°C).
- Keep contents of the safe dry in case of flooding. This product is ETL-verified to keep contents dry for up to 72 hours in up to 12 inches of water.
- You choose the combination. You get to set a code you can easily remember, rather than having to memorize one set by the factory. Also, even though the locking mechanism is battery-powered, the compartment is easy to access, so changing the batteries is not a challenge.
- The interior has some useful features. These include a carpeted floor to protect valuables from scratches as well as shelves to organize the contents of the safe.
- Construction is rugged. The safe is made of solid steel and features five live-locking bolts, four deadbolts, and an extra-thick door. Also, you can bolt it down with the included hardware.
- Sometimes there seem to be dents or issues with an uneven base. But both are likely the result of damage during shipping. Most units should suffer neither of these issues.
AmazonBasics Fire Resistant Box Safe
If you are looking for a safe with 2.1 cubic feet of space, consider the AmazonBasics Fire Resistant Box Safe. This product weighs 90 pounds and comes backed by a limited 1-year warranty from AmazonBasics. With its sturdy build, it keeps contents safe from fire and intruders. The exterior dimensions are 16.9″ x 13.8″ x 26.0″ (L x W x H). The interior dimensions are 15.2″ x 9.6″ x 24.4″ (L x W x H).
- Keep valuables safe during a blaze. The manufacturer states that the safe “complies with modified UL 72 Standard for Safety Tests for Fire Resistance.”
- Construction is solid and dependable. The safe is made out of 14-gauge solid steel, and features 5 bolts, each of them 0.75 inches thick. Three of these are external active bolts while two of them are internal deadbolts.
- There are two options for entry. These include an electronic keypad and a backup key. The key is provided specifically for situations where you forget the combination (in other words, the key isn’t required to open the safe, but is included as a convenience).
- You can organize your safe contents. There is a shelf inside which you can adjust or remove based on your needs. This increases the versatility of the safe.
- There are some plastic parts. These include the number pad and part of the battery compartment. But most of the parts are made out of sturdy materials.