Are you looking for a locking box in which you can secure your documents and other valuables against fire? If so, a fireproof safe box may be what you are in the market for. The fireproof safe boxes which are on the market today are available in a variety of sizes, and many of them provide sufficient protection even for your valuable data.
In this guide, we will talk about the features to look for in the best fireproof safe boxes as well as some questions you should ask yourself when selecting a product. Below, find a fireproof safe box comparison table for top products.
|SureSeal by FireKing|
The buying guide below will help you learn more about fireproof safe boxes before you shop. Below the guide, you can read overviews for some of the top fireproof safe boxes on the market.
Before Shopping for a Fireproof Safe Box, Ask Yourself:
1. Is a fireproof safe box what you need?
A “fireproof safe box” refers to a specific type of product. Technically, it is indeed a kind of safe, but most products in this category have a shape that is more like a “box” or “case” than the configuration of a traditional safe.
Like a regular fireproof safe, a fireproof safe box is designed to lock. It can also be heavy and sturdy.
But it should be understood that the main point of the fireproof safe box is to protect contents from fire, not from theft.
As such, the fireproofing rather than the anti-theft features tends to be where most of the value is at.
Most fireproof safe boxes feature a simple lock which you can open with a key, not a fancy combination lock or biometric lock.
So, you will need to decide if a fireproof safe box is what you want, or whether you would prefer a different type of fire safe.
2. What will you be storing in the safe?
It is essential to know what types of items you will keep in the safe, or you will not know what fireproof rating you need. Data requires a higher fireproof rating for protection than paper documents.
3. What size box do you need?
Decide on a size for your box both based on its intended contents and on the location where you will put it. Also ask yourself whether you require it to be portable. Many fireproof safe boxes tend to be on the smaller side, another feature which sets them apart from all-purpose fireproof safes which come in larger configurations.
Considerations for Buying the Right Fireproof Safe Box
Check the UL fire resistance rating for the safe you want to purchase.
UL 125: If you need to protect paper documents, magnetic tapes, photographic film and computer data, this rating will be sufficient to protect your items.
UL 150: Safes in this category can protect everything listed above except for data.
UL 350: If the only thing you need to protect is paper documents, this rating is sufficient.
Along with these ratings, you will notice that different timeframes of protection are listed (no safe can protect its contents from fire indefinitely).
On average, most fires are put out within 20 minutes. So, most people will be able to go with 1 hour of protection. You probably will not need more unless you are located somewhere remote or there are other complications that could lead to a prolonged blaze.
Quality of Lock
Again, fireproof safe boxes are usually designed first and foremost with fire protection in mind, not protection from theft.
Nonetheless, you should try and purchase a box which includes a high quality lock. Not only will this help to deter prying hands, but it may also reduce the chances of your safe falling and opening during a blaze.
Construction and Materials
Along with the construction of the lock, the overall construction and durability of the safe box itself is important as well.
Make sure that you are buying a product which is not made out of flimsy materials. Also ensure that the door, hinges, and other parts are well-designed and will stand up to wear and tear while resisting intruders.
While you may be looking for a safe that will sit in a single location, many people shopping for fireproof safe boxes want something which is portable.
If portability is important to you, check the dimensions and weight of a fireproof safe box to make sure that it won’t be too unwieldy.
Some fireproof safe boxes also come with handles. A carrying handle can make it much easier to transport your safe box from one location to another.
Safe boxes in this style also tend to have a configuration which is more in the shape of a case than a “box.” That way, you can carry the box rather like you would a heavy briefcase.
Some fire safes are either water resistant or waterproof. There is a difference between the two.
ETL-verified water resistant: If a safe is water resistant, it can stand in up to 6 inches or withstand blasts of water for 15 minutes.
ETL-verified waterproofing: If a safe is actually waterproof, it can be submerged for up to an hour, during which a maximum of eight drops of water will penetrate to the interior.
Most fireproof safe boxes aren’t going to be large enough to justify the inclusion of shelves for organization.
But some boxes do include straps built into the interior. You can place your documents behind these straps, and the straps will help hold them in place. That way they are less likely to get jumbled together, especially during transportation of the safe.
Check to see whether the safe you are thinking about purchasing comes with just one key, or whether it also includes a backup key. While a backup key is not necessarily all-important, it is certainly nice to have, especially if you want more than one person to have convenient access to the safe at all times.
SureSeal by FireKing SS104-A Fireproof Safe Chest
The SureSeal by FireKing SS104-A 1 Hour Fireproof Waterproof Safe Chest is a compact, portable safe box offering you .38 cubic feet to store your data, documents and more. If you prefer, this fireproof safe box is also available in three other sizes.
- Protect data and more from fire (UL Class 350 Fire Rated). This safe is 1-hour fire rated to provide protection for your flash drives, external hard drives, and other electronic data storage devices as well as paper documents and more.
- The safe box is waterproof. Keep your possessions safe from water for up to two hours. The safe is designed to float.
- A useful size and shape. With its dimensions (H=7 5/16 W=19 7/8 D=17), this safe is just the right size and shape to store your legal and letter size documents without folding or bending them.
- Carry your fireproof safe box with ease. While the safe box is heavy, it is not unwieldy. It also includes a convenient carrying handle.
- The safe is outfitted with dual compression latches. The purpose of these latches is to keep the lid of the safe sealed tight.
- Your purchase is protected. Not only does this safe protect your valuables, but the 7-year warranty provides a long period of protection for your purchase of this product.
- The lock is pretty flimsy. Picking this simple key lock would not be difficult, but the point is to provide fire protection, not burglary protection.
SentrySafe 1170 Fireproof Box with Key Lock
If you are looking for a budget option for keeping your documents and data safe from fire, you might consider the SentrySafe 1170 Fireproof Box with Key Lock. Even with its reasonable price, this fireproof box provides excellent protection, albeit for a shorter timeframe than some competing products.
- Protect data and more from a blaze. This product is UL Classified to withstand 30 minutes of exposure at 1550°F. Along with the UL classification for fire protection, this box also is ETL-verified. So it is safe to store your electronic data inside.
- The product comes with a backup key. You receive two keys when you purchase this fireproof box safe.
- The dimensions are convenient for storing documents. With exterior dimensions of 15.3 in. W x 12.1 in. D x 13.6 in H and interior dimensions of 12 in W x 8.5 in. D x 10.4 in, you can store letter-size documents in this safe without bending or folding them.
- Well-designed lid and lock. The flat key lock on this safe helps to keep the lid secure if there is a fire in progress.
- This product is a good value. While this is not the sturdiest and most rugged of safe boxes (see below), for the price, you are getting a good product.
- Materials and construction are not the best for this product. As a result, its lifespan may be shorter than some other more expensive safe boxes.
Honeywell Safes 30 Minute Fire Safe Waterproof Filing Safe Box Chest
The Honeywell Safes 30 Minute Fire Safe Waterproof Filing Safe Box Chest includes both fire and water protection for your valuables. Measuring 12.9 in H x 15.9 in W x 12.6 on the outside, this safe offers plenty of room for file folders, papers and data storage devices.
- The safe features a 30 Minute UL Fire protection rating for up to 1550°F / 843°C. This is sufficient to protect even your sensitive electronic devices and data.
- Protect contents from flooding. The 24-hour waterproof seal protects your valuables even when submerged in up to 1 m of water.
- The box is a convenient size and shape. Letter-size documents can fit inside without you needing to bend or fold them.
- This safe is backed by a 7-year limited warranty. That is a long time period of protection from a reputable brand. With the rugged materials and solid construction the box features, it is likely it will hold up great over all that time.
- The price is reasonable. The Honeywell Safes 30 Minute Fire Safe Waterproof Filing Safe Box Chest is neither the most nor least expensive fireproof box safe on the market. But if you get it at a discount, it is one of the more affordable, high-quality options you’ll encounter. Even at full price, it remains an excellent deal.
- There is sometimes a flaw involving the alignment between the lid and the locking mechanism. Most units do not seem to have this flaw.
Those in the market for a compact safe box to protect items from both fire and water will want to consider the SentrySafe CHW20221 Box. With exterior dimensions of 5.4 in. W x 14.3 in. D x 6.6 in. H and interior dimensions of 12.8 in. W x 8.5 in. D x 4.4 in. H, it offers 0.28 cubic feet of space. Keep in mind that it is lightweight and built for portability, so if you want a heavy-duty box, another product might be more suitable for your requirements.
- This safe is compact, lightweight and portable. Weighing just 20 pounds and including a convenient carrying handle, it is comfortable and easy to transport from location to location.
- The box provides fire protection for data and more. It is UL Classified to withstand 1/2 hour at 1550°F.
- Along with being fireproof, this box is also waterproof. It is ETL-Verified to keep contents dry even when submerged for up to 72 hours.
- The project includes a backup key. With two keys, two users can have access at all times, and you will have an extra key if you lose one.
- There are straps built into the interior. You can use these to keep identification cards and papers organized.
- The box may be too small for some applications. If you want to store 8.5 x 11” papers, you will have to bend them to fit them inside.